1. What was the first song you remember hearing and enjoying on the radio?
I don’t remember, but that isn’t what I want to talk about anyway. I want to know why the suffix ‘gate’ has not yet once been applied to this hurricane fiasco. Come on! I mean, FEMA gate? Michael Brown must be killed-gate. Hurricane-gate? Flood-gate? Levvy-gate? How about… water-gate?
2. If you could only listen to five CDs for a year, which five would they be?
Led Zeppelin’s Physical Graffitti * Jimi Hendrix’ Electric Ladyland * Metallica’s Master of Puppets * Smashing Pumpkins’ Siamese Dream * Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks
3. What was your favorite year, music-wise?
something happened in 1977. the world of rock absolutely peaked like freakin’ crazy. I was only 5 at the time, but look what happened:
Eagles Hotel California
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville
Fleetwood Mac Rumours
Steely Dan Aja
Led Zeppelin’s Destroyer Cleveland Bootleg
Grateful Dead’s Barton Hall bootleg
4. If you could witness one historical music event through all time, what would you pick, and why?
Monterey Pop, California 1967. This was the true zenith of the California music scene. The show was much much smaller than Woodstock, so you got to see the bands and not the crowd. Oh, and the bands: Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix (his American solo debut), the Who, Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, Mamas & the Papas, CAnned Heat, Country Joe… I mean fugghettabout it!
5. Do you have a song that never fails to cheer you up? What is it and why does it do that for you?
Wot’s the Deal by Pink Floyd off of Obscured by Clouds. The piano work is just the greatest melody lines in history. It is so beautiful.
Thanks as always go to Roy for this week’s fives! ,br>