1. At what age do you think it’s appropriate for someone to get their driver’s license?
In Arizona, the deal was 16. However, I really like what New York does. It possibly other states do it, don’t know. However, in New York they have ‘graduated drivers license’ which means: you get your ‘day’ license at 16. However, to drive after dark, you have to be 18. I love that idea… especially I didn’t grow up in New York. I mean, as an adult I think it is clever and good. As a teenager, though, I would have told you it was patriarchal oppressive anti youth bullshit. Thank god I am not a teenager anymore, eh?
2. At what age do you think it’s appropriate for someone to first drink alcohol?
16. They are all doing it by then, anyway. By making it against the law, you are just giving it punk cache. Remember, teenagers are obsessed with testing limits. That is natural. If you passed a law tomorrow that said you can’t sock yourself in the nose with a hammer until you are 18… nose hammering parties would sprout up overnight with teenagers. Trust me.
3. At what age do you think it’s appropriate for someone to become sexually active?
Being a dude, my policy was ‘as soon as some girl will let me’. As someone more of a parent age, somewhere between 16 and 18. As we all know now, it isn’t the physical ability to do the deed, it’s the emotional baggage that comes with it. Man, nothing will prepare you for girls and their feelings. What is the deal with that?
I had a teacher in high school who said something incredibly insightful. She said “men give love for sex, women give sex for love’. Go ahead and think on that.
4. At what age do you think it’s appropriate for someone to vote in elections affecting national and/or local government?
To me, waiting until I was 18 was brutal. I am cool with kids voting at 16. However, that might drive some not so awesome policies. We might have a ‘vampires are rad day’ passed. I have no problem with the current system of 18. I think my 13 year old wife would agree with that. You know, girls mature quicker than boys. So, really, she is like 15 emotionally. I mean, I am not a monster.
5. At what age do you think it’s appropriate for someone to be conscripted for military service?
Well, I would have to say 18 is good. Any later, and they are less moldable. In order to have these people learn and fight and die, we need people in top human physical condition. Apparently, that is about 18 according to nature. So, here is a tangent that ties a bit of all this together. If you can get married, buy a house, sire a child, and die for your country… you should be qualified to have a beer as well. 21 is dumb, and hasn’t been observed ever.
On the other hand, you mentioned ‘conscription’, which I think means ‘we are making you do this’. Let me tell you, I am ALL for this. In many European countries, when you turn 18, you have to do 2 years of service. Not necessarily military, but you have to do something that involves service, training, and discipline. It’s brilliant. Kennedy started something similar with the Peace Corps, and Clinton did one better with Americorps. Some would say we are a lazy and self involved people. I know that I am. This would help with that.
Granted, like my comment about the graduated license earlier, I can say this safely… as I am 37 and don’t have to worry about being conscripted.
I love you all. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I am thankful for you, my wife, Max, my family… and most of all – me. It’s great to be me. You should really try it sometime.